What is the cost of using the Kyleena IUD?

The cost of using a Kyleena IUD is approximately $100 Canadian dollars. This is assumng you have private health insurance that covers 80% of the cost of Kyleena and you are covered by a provincial health plan for the insertion procedure. $100 CAD covers the remaining 20% for Kyleena device itself. The Kyleena IUD is good for 5 years after insertion. After 5 years, you should have the device removed by a healthcare professional and a new one inserted (if you want to continue using it). The annual cost of Kyleena works out to about $20 per year.

Kyleena IUD cost in British Columbia: Vancouver, Surrey, and others

For example, in British Columbia, insertion is covered by public health insurance, so just show your BC Health card to your doctor to save on the cost of insertion. If your insurance coverage is more or less than 80%, use this cost calculator to find out the exact cost of a Kyleena IU: See a Kyleena IUD cost calculator here. PocketPills offers free delivery within Canada so you do not need to worry about a delivery fee.

Kylena iud price image in Canada and delivery cost

 How much does a Kyleena IUD cost without coverage?

Kyleena costs approximately $410 if you do not have coverage for it under a private health insurance plan. The Kyleena IUD can be used for up to 5 years, which works out to less than $100 per year to use this birth control option. 

ALSO READ  Birth Control and Protein Deficiency

If you are not covered for physician visits under a provincial health plan, your doctor may charge approximately $160 for doing the insertion procedure. This cost does not include pre-insertion or post-insertion medical visits.

Kyleena iud cost without insurance in Canada image

The Kyleena IUD is a long term birth control solution with minimum maintenance costs 

The Kyleena IUD is one of three intrauterine devices (IUDs) available in Canada. Kyleena is a long-term birth control solution for those looking for a maintenance-free contraception option. Kyleena is manufactured by Bayer and is part of the same family as Mirena and Skyla. It is a soft, flexible plastic insert with a T shape form.

When was Kyleena introduced to Canada? Is it available everywhere in Canada?

Health Canada approved the use of Kyleena in early 2018.

Public coverage with price subsidies of Kyleena is available in the following provinces:

  • Saskatchewan
  • Alberta
  • Prince Edward Island
  • New Brunswick
  • Nova Scotia
  • British Columbia
  • Manitoba
  • Ontario
  • Quebec
  • Newfoundland and Labrador

You can enquire about the private coverage with your insurance provider.

How do I get Kyleena in Canada?

Kyleena requires a prescription as well as an appointment with a medical professional for insertion. This is required because Kyleena is a medical device that needs to be inserted with caution and accuracy by a medical professional.

You should also discuss your desire to get Kyleena with your medical professional to ensure this IUD is the right choice for you. An assessment of your medical history and individual needs will help determine if Kyleena is right for you. You can buy Kyleena from Pocketpills – see how to order it here.

Do you ovulate with the Kyleena IUD?

Most women continue to ovulate while using Kyleena. Kyleena works to prevent pregnancy by three main mechanisms:

  1. Thickening the cervical mucus to prevent penetration by sperm. 
  2. Thinning of the uterus lining to make it harder for fertilized eggs to implant
  3. Preventing sperm from reaching the egg to fertilize it
ALSO READ  Mirena IUD in Canada: Benefits, Side Effects, Pros and Cons, Cost, Effect on Weight & Mood

Kyleena doesn’t work by stopping ovulation. However, sometimes, hormone changes from having the Kyleena IUD leads to a lack of ovulation for some women.  

Recommended reading for you

Kyleena vs Mirena Do These IUDs Cause Weight Gain or Bloating

Understanding IUDs: Effectiveness, Side effects, Advantages & more

Understanding IUDs: Effectiveness, Side effects, Advantages & more

What is an IUD? Hormonal, Non-Hormonal, Copper

Mirena IUD Side Effects in Canada Explained. Benefits, Pros vs Cons, Cost, Weight & Mood

IUD Brand Options In Canada: Hormonal, Non hormonal Copper Explained – Mirena, Kyleena & Paragard

Read More... 37252 Views