What is Tri-cira Lo?
Tri-cira or Tri-cira Lo is a combined contraceptive pill containing progestin and estrogen. When taken regularly as advised by the doctor and without missing a dose, the pills are effective in 98% - 99% of cases.
Let’s learn more about this medication, including its uses, side effects, and precautions to be followed.
How to use Tricira Lo and what are its approved label uses?
The pills are mainly used to prevent pregnancy. They may also be prescribed to regulate the menstrual cycle and reduce heavy menstrual bleeding
What are some off-label uses of Tricira Lo?
There is no off-label use of the medicine so far.
It may be prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
What are the instructions for Tricira Lo?
Each pack of Tri-Cira Lo contains 21 or 28 tablets which consist of pills of different colors, including white, light blue, dark blue, and green. The reason for these colors is that it is triphasic meaning the concentration changes throughout the pack.
White tablets contain 0.180 mg norgestimate and 0.025 mg ethinyl estradiol, light blue tablets contain 0.215 mg norgestimate and 0.025 mg ethinyl estradiol and dark blue tablets contain 0.250 mg norgestimate and 0.025 mg ethinyl estradiol.
The dark green tablets in Tri-Cira Lo contain inert ingredients.
How To Take:
For Tri-Cira Lo 21, one pill is to be taken daily for 21 consecutive days, followed by a break of 7 days.
For Tri-Cira Lo 28, take the medication pill for 21 days, followed by a reminder pill for seven days.
Do not stop taking the medication without consulting with your doctor. Follow the instructions on the prescription label and ask your physician or pharmacist if you do not understand any instructions.
- Take the pill once daily as directed by your doctor, preferably at the same time every day.
- Use a backup contraceptive method such as condoms in case of diarrhea and vomiting.
- One can take the pill at bedtime or after the evening meal, especially if you face nausea or an upset stomach with the medication.
- It is essential to take this pill at the same time every day, 24 hours apart.
In case of missed dose:
In case you have missed one active pill, take it as soon as you remember and take the next pill at the scheduled time.
In case you miss two active pills in week one or week two, take two pills as soon as you realize and also on the next day. Continue taking one pill each day until the pack Is finished.
If you miss 2 or 3 active pills in the third week, keep taking one pill each day till Sunday, and on Sunday, discard the pack and start with the fresh pack. Consult your doctor if you do not get your periods for consecutively two cycles.
What are the ingredients in Tricira Lo?
It is a combined contraceptive pill containing progestin and estrogen.
When taken as directed by the doctor, they prevent pregnancy by:
- Preventing ovulation during the menstrual cycle.
- Making your vaginal fluid thicker to prevent sperm from reaching the egg.
- Altering the uterine lining, preventing attachment of the fertilized egg.
How to store and dispose of Tricira Lo?
- Store at 20°C to 25°C
- Keep it away from the reach of kids and pets
What are the side effects of Tricira Lo?
Like all the medications, Tricira Lo also has side effects. It is possible that you may experience the following side effects. Inform your physician if these symptoms are severe or if they do not do away;
- Breast tenderness
- Weight gain or loss
- Unexpected vaginal bleeding or spotting
- Disturbed menstrual cycle
- High blood pressure
- The darkness of facial skin
- Increase or decrease in hair growth
- Vaginal infections
- Breast tumour
- Liver lesions/tumour
- Blood clots at multiple sites in the body
- Heart attack
- Trouble breathing
- Decreased kidney function
- Allergic reactions
This is not a complete list of side effects, and others may take place. One must always check with their physician about other possible side effects.
What are the most important contraindications when on Tricira Lo?
Inform your healthcare provider in case of an allergy to Tricira Lo or any other medication or any of the ingredients in Tricira Lo. Ask your pharmacist or check the medication guide for a list of the ingredients.
Do not take or inform your doctor if you have or had following conditions:
- Blood clotting disorders
- Cerebrovascular disorders
- Heart conditions
- Liver diseases, including liver cancer
- Breast tumors
- Vision problems such as loss of vision
- Suspected pregnancy
- Migraine with focal aura
- Pancreatitis with high cholesterol levels
- High blood pressure levels
- Over age 35 and smoke
What are the warnings and precautions of Tricira Lo?
- You should inform your pharmacist or physician if you are allergic to Tricira Lo or have any other allergies.
- You should not smoke as it may increase the risk of serious cardiovascular side effects from birth-control pills.
- If you have diabetes, you should get your blood sugar checked regularly as this medication may affect your blood sugar levels.
- You should tell your doctor if you had surgery or plan to get one, as this medication may increase the chances of getting blood clots.
- You must inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant as this medication is used to prevent pregnancy.
- You must inform your doctor about all the other medications you are taking.
- You should inform your doctor or dentist about Tricira Lo before any surgery.
- Contact your doctor immediately if you experience any abnormality, such as vision problems, skin rashes, etc.
What are the most important interactions of Tricira Lo?
Tricira Lo may interact with any of the following medications or inform your doctor if you are taking any of the below-mentioned medication:
- Anticonvulsants such as Ethosuximide and Carbamazepine
- Antibiotics such as Ampicillin and Cotrimoxazole
- Vitamin E
The list is not comprehensive, and other drugs may interact with Tricira Lo. You should mention all the medications that you are taking and consult your doctor before starting the medication.
When can I Take Tricira Lo?
It is best to take medicine once a day, at the same time every day.
Is There A Generic Version to Tricira Lo?
Yes. The generic version is Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate, available in various brands including Tricira Lo
How Is Tricira Lo Different from Others In The Treatment Of Ailment?
Tricira Lo is similar to various combine contraceptive pills prescribed in Canada. It is used to prevent pregnancy.