What is Braftovi
Braftovi is an oral prescription medication used along with similar acting medicines to treat certain skin and colon cancers.
Health Canada recently approved this medication on 31st March 2021.
How to take Braftovi? Uses.
Braftovi Label Use
Braftovi or Encorafenib is used in the treatment of melanoma (a type of skin cancer)
- With a certain type of abnormal BRAF gene (V600E or V600K mutation)
- That is spread to other organs or body parts or cannot be removed through surgery.
It may also be used along with Erbitux for treating colon cancer.
Braftovi Off-label Use
There is no off-label use of the medicine so far.
Braftovi may be prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Braftovi Direction For Use
- Braftovi is an oral medication and is available in capsule form. The capsule is available in 75 mg strength.
- It can be taken with or without food
- Take the medication around the same time every day
- Follow the instructions given by your physician or pharmacist. Read the prescription label carefully for the dosing instructions
- If you vomit the medication, do not take another dose. Follow your regular dosing schedule
- If you miss your dose, it should be administered as soon as possible without waiting until the next scheduled dose. Subsequent doses should be administered at the recommended intervals.
The recommended dose of Braftovi is 450 mg once daily along with Mektovi for treatment of unresectable or metastatic melanoma with a BRAF V600E or V600K mutation.
The recommended dose of Braftovi is 300 mg once daily along with Erbitux for the treatment of colon cancer with a BRAF V600E or V600K mutation.
Ingredients And Benefits of Braftovi
Encorafenib is the primary ingredient of Braftovi.
Braftovi belongs to the kinase inhibitors class of medications. It works by stopping the action of an abnormal protein that is responsible for signaling cancer cells to multiply. Thus, helping to stop or slow the spread of cancer cells.
Braftovi for metastatic melanoma
Braftovi is used to treat unresectable or metastatic melanoma with a BRAF V600E or V600K mutation with other medications.
Also, it is used in the treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer (CRC) with a BRAF V600E or V600K mutation with other medications.
Warnings and Precautions of using Braftovi
- Inform your health worker about other prescription and non-prescription medications that you are taking. Also, inform about vitamins, herbal and nutritional supplements that you are taking or planning to take.
- Braftovi should not be used in the treatment of patients with wild-type BRAF melanoma or wild CRC.
- Your doctor may reduce, suspend your dosing temporarily or permanently if you experience any side effects. Be sure to tell your physician about how you feel during the treatment.
- You may be at risk of developing new malignancies while on treatment with Braftovi. You should undergo or perform regular dermatologic evaluations.
- You also may be at risk of bleeding.
- Perform ophthalmologic evaluations at regular intervals and for any visual disturbances as you are at risk for Uveitis.
Storage and Disposal of Braftovi
- It is available as 75 mg hard gelatin capsules
- It should be refrigerated at 20ºC to 25ºC
- Dispense the medication in the original bottle
- Do not remove the desiccant from the bottle.
- Protect the bottle from moisture
- Always keep the lid of the bottle tightly closed.
Contraindications of Braftovi
Inform your healthcare provider in case o fan allergy to Braftovi or any other medication or any of the ingredients in Braftovi. Ask your pharmacist or check the medication guide for a list of the ingredients.
Do not take or inform your doctor if you have or had following conditions;
- QT interval prolongation (an irregular rhythm that can lead to fainting, loss of consciousness, seizures, or sudden death)
- Low levels of magnesium in your blood
- Low levels of potassium in your blood
- Heart failure
- Liver disease
Besides, inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or planning to be pregnant. You should use birth control to prevent pregnancy during your treatment with Braftovi and two weeks after your final dose. If you become pregnant while you are on treatment with Braftovi, call your physician immediately since Braftovi may harm your fetus.
Do not breastfeed while you are on treatment with Braftovi and for two weeks after your final dose.
Braftovi may decrease fertility in men. Talk to your doctor about the risk involved in the treatment.
Interactions With Braftovi
Braftovi should not be used along with Immunosuppressant drugs or immune-modulating therapies. Some examples include:
- St John’s Wort
This may not be a complete list of medications. You must inform all the medicines that you are taking or are going to take. Always consult your physician before starting any new medication.
Braftovi Side Effects
Like all the medications, Braftovi also has side effects. It is possible that you may experience some of the side effects. Inform your physician if these symptoms do not go away or are severe:
- Joint pain
- Muscle pain
- Change in taste
- Back pain
- Stomach pain
- Skin thickening
- Dry skin
- Hair loss
- Nose bleeding
Some of these effects can be serious. If you experience any of the following symptoms, you must inform your physician immediately or get emergency treatment:
- Feel dizzy
- Vision changes
- Coughing up blood
- Unusual bleeding
- Black stools
- Bloody stools
- Unusual bruising
- Skin changes such as a new wart, a sore or reddish bump
- Changes in the size of a mole
Braftovi may cause an increased risk of developing cancer, including skin cancer. You should check your skin every two months during the treatment and up to 6 months after the final dose for signs of cancer.
This is not a complete list of side effects. If you experience severe side effects or symptoms that are persistent, please contact your doctor immediately.
How is Braftovi Taken?
It is available as an oral medicine to be taken once at the same time every day. You can take it with or without food.
Is There A Generic Version of Braftovi?
No. For now, there is no generic version of Braftovi available in Canada.
Who Makes Braftovi and What Is Their Manufacturing Record of Success?
Pfizer, a global biopharmaceutical company, makes Braftovi. They aim to provide health for all by manufacturing advanced breakthrough products.