What is Riabni
Canada's drug regulator, Health Canada, approved the rituximab biosimilar Riabni to treat rheumatoid arthritis and chronic lymphocytic leukemia, and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (types of blood cell cancers).
Do you have these conditions and understand if Riabni can help you? Or want to gain more information about it? Read on to get the answer to your questions.
What are Riabni Uses?
What are some Riabni label uses?
- Rituximab-arrx is a prescription biological medication that may be used alone or in combination with other medicines to treat non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL; a type of cancer that begins in a type of white blood cells that usually fights infection).
- It can also treat the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis (RA; a condition in which the body attacks its own joints, causing pain, swelling, and loss of function) and treat chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL; a type of cancer of the white blood cells).
What are some Riabni off-label uses?
There is no off-label use of the medicine so far.
It may be prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Whare are Riabni directions for use?
- A healthcare professional will administer Riabni through an intravenous infusion.
- Rituximab is usually administered through slow infusion. It may usually take several hours or longer to receive the first dose of rituximab injection. After the first dose, you may receive the medication more quickly, depending on how you respond to the treatment. Your dosing will also depend on the condition you have and other medicines that you are taking along.
- If you miss an appointment to receive a Rituximab injection, call your physician right away.
What are Riabni ingredients and benefits?
Rituximab-arrx is the active ingredient in Riabni.
It is a monoclonal antibody that binds to the cell surface protein CD20, which is responsible for the rapid growth and multiplication of cancer cells.
How to store and dispose of Riabni?
- Store the solution in the refrigerator at 2ºC to 8ºC in the original carton.
- Protect the solution from direct sunlight.
- Do not discard the medicine through household waste or wastewater.
What are Riabni side effects?
Like all the medications, Riabni also has side effects. It is possible that you may experience the following side effects. Inform your physician if these symptoms are severe or if they do not do away;
- Night sweats
- Back or joint pain
- Feeling unusually anxious or worried
Some of the side effects may be serious. If you experience any of them, please get in touch with your physician immediately;
- Chest tightness
- Unusual bruising or bleeding
- Sore throat
- Runny nose
- Painful urination
- Redness, tenderness, swelling, or warmth of area of skin
This is not a complete list. If you experience any other side effects that are serious and persistent, please contact your health worker immediately.
Contraindications of taking Riabni
Inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to Rituximab, rituximab-abbs, rituximab-pvvr, other medications, or any of the ingredients in rituximab injection products.
Do not take or inform your doctor if you have or had following conditions;
- Hepatitis C
- West Nile Virus
- Parvovirus B19
- Kidney disease
Besides, inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or planning to be pregnant. You should use birth control to prevent pregnancy during your treatment with Rituximab and for 12 months after the last dose of Rituximab. Talk to your doctor about birth control that will work for you.
If you become pregnant while on Riabni treatment, inform your doctor immediately as the drug can harm your fetus. You should not breastfeed during your treatment with Rituximab and for six months after your final dose.
What are some warnings and precautions of taking Riabni?
Inform your health worker about other prescription and non-prescription medications that you are taking. Also, inform about vitamins, herbal and nutritional supplements that you are taking or planning to take.
What can interact with Riabni?
Rituximab may interact with any of the following medications or inform your doctor if you are taking any of the below-mentioned medication;
- Other medications for rheumatoid arthritis
- Medications that suppress the immune system such as azathioprine, cyclosporine, sirolimus, and tacrolimus
Is There A Generic Version of Riabni?
Yes. The generic version is available under the name rituximab-arrx. This medicine is biosimilar to Rituximab.
Biosimilar means that the new biological product is approved based on the data that states it is highly similar to Health Canada approved biological product, also known as the reference product. In this case, rituximab-arrx is biosimilar of rituximab.
The biosimilarity is present for:
- The conditions of use
- Dosage forms
- Route of administration.
Can RIabni Used for Children?
No, the medicine is not recommended for use in children.
How Is Riabni Different from Others In The Treatment Of Ailment?
According to the results of various studies, Riabni is as effective as the reference product Rituxan. However, the cost is 23.7% lower than the reference product.
Who Makes Riabni and What Is Their Manufacturing Record of Success?
Amgen, a US-based biopharmaceutical company, has come up with Riabni as a biosimilar of Rituxan. The product is developed upon the company's aim to improve the reach of medicines to patients with serious illnesses.
They have about four decades of experience in producing high-quality biosimilars.